Baking Project #2: Candle Birthday Cake



Oh how I love pinning! I do it everyday! I am always in search of home ideas, cake and cupcake recipes and most of all, cake frosting techniques. I am so addicted!

Last year, I chanced upon this cake styling idea and it has been stuck in my mind since then. I wanted to try it back then but for no apparent reason, I just stopped baking altogether. So the idea had been put to rest for a while. But last weekend, I was restless. I wanted to go to the mall, shop for groceries, dine out, play outside with Julian, read a book and so and so. I had an endless list of things I wanted to do. I ticked a few on the list but I was still restless so I decided to bake. And my heart and mind had their peace. I used a new recipe which meant that I needed someone besides myself to taste it and give me feedback. My younger brother visited us later in the afternoon and helped himself with the cake. He returned the next day and ate a couple of slices with Julian. (By the way, Julian cried when Ton told him that they already ate all of the cake and there's nothing left. Hmm, he must loved it too!)

And so of course, I no longer have to ask Ton if I should make it again. Obviously, he liked it. And I liked it too and my friends at work as well!





      White Butter Cake

      Ingredients: 

2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 cup, at room temperature 
6 large egg whites, at room temperature 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar 
4 teaspoons baking powder 
1 teaspoon table salt 
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool 

Directions: 
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray; line the bottoms with parchment paper rounds. 
  2. Pour milk, egg whites, and vanilla into a bowl, and mix with fork until blended. 
  3. Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of electric mixer at slow speed. Add butter; continue beating at slow speed until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no powdery streaks remaining. Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat 30 seconds more. Stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium speed and beat 20 seconds longer. 
  4. Divide batter evenly between two prepared cake pans; using rubber spatula, spread batter to pan walls and smooth tops.Bake until thin skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes. Let cakes rest in pans for 3 minutes. Loosen from sides of pans with a knife, if necessary, and invert onto wire racks. Reinvert onto additional wire racks. Let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours. 

   
      American Buttercream
   
      Ingredients:

       1 1/4 cup butter, softened
       3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted 3 to 4 times
       1 Tbsp vanilla
       3-4 Tbsp heavy cream
       1 tsp salt

     Directions:
  
  1.  Beat butter at high speed for 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and slowly add powdered sugar. When all of the sugar is blended, add the heavy cream and beat at high speed. Add vanilla and salt and beat again until desired consistency is attained. Make adjustment by adding heavy cream (1 Tbsp at a time) or powdered sugar (1 cup at a time).


Note: Cake recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...