Baking Project #6: Sprinkles Cupcakes


I have 2 packs of sprinkles at home that have been sitting in the cupboard for months but which I am not inclined to throw away. Even if I have to make a couple of cakes and a number of cupcakes to decorate them with I would do it. 

Who am I kidding? Those sprinkles were the reason why I was inspired over the weekend. Suddenly, I had a reason to bake. I was honestly itching to whisk flour and beat butter but baking two weeks in a row didn't sound well for my pocket. I just bought 2 sets of pajamas for Julian, new shirts for me and was even tempted to buy a cake stand if only the color went well with me. 


I have fabricated another alibi. I am set to make 80-100 cupcakes for Calvin's birthday this Sunday and I need to determine just exactly how much buttercream I have to make. I will do the baking at home, bring the cupcakes to Zambales and frost them there. And Diane will have to buy all the ingredients I needed a couple of days before, so planning ahead is necessary.

These cupcakes were soft, even after I stored them in the refrigerator for a day. I would love to do it again. By the way, the first time I made these, I used evaporated milk and the taste was overwhelming and had a burn-out factor. I suggest that you either use whole or fresh milk to balance everything.






RECIPE                                                                                                                                                    


Sprinkles Cupcakes

Ingredients:

3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 large eggwhites (read direction #2 before separating the yolks from the white)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp milk (fresh or whole)
1/4 cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 175 deg Celsius. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners (14 cupcakes).
  2. Sift flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. Add salt and whisk. Set aside
  3. In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter until pale and creamy. Add in sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and eggwhites one at a time beating well after each addition. Scrape the bottom of the bowl if necessary. Mix in vanilla. In three additions, alternately beat in the flour mixture and the milk beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. (1/3 of dry ingredients + 1/2 of milk + 1/3 of dry ingredients + 1/2 of milk and then finally the rest of the dry ingredients. Fold in the rainbow jimmies sprinkles.
  4. Fill muffin tins with about 1/4 cup of batter. Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (The original recipe calls for 17-19 minutes, but in my oven it took 22 minutes to have them completely bake.) Remove from the oven, allow in the muffin tins for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to completely cool.

For the frosting recipe, click here.


Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...