Baking Project # 7: 9th Month Birthday Cake



I don't know the reason behind this but from my hometown, they believed that once someone becomes a godmother to your child, you can't be a godmother to her child as well. As it turned out, my closest of friends are Julian's godmothers. So there goes my dream to become a godmother to their children. 

Early this year, my friend gave birth to her son Bryze and he was baptized a few months later. I am honestly jealous that he'll get to call my other friends "ninang" and I won't ever hear it from him. But anyway, I still get to spoil him with my presence as we live only about five minutes away. I used to jive Julian's pedia appointment with his schedule but their pedia is not someone who hurries the consultation (unlike what I observed with my former OB) so one of us had to wait another hour before we can leave. And with other patients at the reception area waiting for their turn, it could get tiring and fearful trying to hold on to Julian as he run around while I hope that he doesn't bump into chairs, other toddlers or the older patients.

Bryze breezed into his 9th month last Saturday and I baked a cake for him. We brought the cake to their house but had to leave early as Julian wasn't feeling well. If you noticed, I do love sprinkles on cake. If I could get away with it, I'd top all cakes with them. But of course I have to choose the appropriate occasion for them and a baby's birthday is just right for it.




RECIPE                                                                                                                                                    


Birthday Cake

Ingredients:

For the cake

    1 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    5 eggs, room temperature
    3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
    2 tsp vanilla

For the buttercream

   1 cup salted butter, softened
   4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
   2 Tbsp heavy cream
   2 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

For the cake


  1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F (175 deg C). Line 2 8-inch round pans with parchment paper and grease well. 
  2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. 
  3. Cream together butter and oil until well combined and fluffy. Add sugar one cup at a time and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another. Scrape the bottom of the bowl, if necessary. Add the flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in three additions, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Beat in vanilla. Beat batter on high for 5 seconds until everything is fully incorporated.
  4. Equally divide into prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes. Run a spatula or knife around the edge of the pans and transfer to cooling racks. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:

  1. Beat butter until pale and fluffy. Slowly mix powdered sugar. Add heavy cream and beat well. Mix in vanilla and beat on high until the desired consistency is attained. Add food color if desired. 

Notes: 

      You can use unsalted butter but I find the result too sweet to my liking so I switched to salted butter. Salted butter softened faster than the salted one.

 





No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...